Friday, July 29, 2011

Cherry Garcia



We are back to our regular blog day of FRIDAY! This weeks flavor was a request from my cousin Kathy from East Providence, Rhode Island. I was fortunate enough to have met the Moniz family last month on my East Coast vacation. My cousin Taylor (Kathy’s son) introduced me to Hot Wieners and Kathy has now introduced me to Cherry Garcia.

Cherry Garcia Verdict:

This week I went in with low expectations because I am not a fan of maraschino cherries. And another reason why I started with low expectations was because the last two weeks flavors were just not up to par. And honestly, when I get comments like, “It’s the best!” I tend to not believe it anymore. Yes, “It’s the best!” is way less extreme as, “I would leave my husband for this flavor” from Michelle, but I just couldn’t grasp the idea of this flavor.

The one thing about having no expectations is that you are not left disappointed. I just opened this carton and took a deep breathe before taking my first bite. The first words out of my mouth were, “This is refreshing”. The combination of the cherry chunks and the chocolate chunks were just PERFECT. When you first bite into this ice cream it is just like AWWWW. My biggest issue, and yes I have a lot, was that distinctive flavor that I oh so love of the maraschino cherry. I NEVER eat the cherries on top of banana splits, if they happen to get into alcoholic beverage and DEFINITELY not out of the jar. I sadly went into this today with all the hopes of hating this flavor. Not going to lie, acted like a 5 year-old who was having broccoli for the first time. After having my portion-sized scoop of ice cream I wanted seconds. Did I go back? No. But it honestly crossed my mind to just grab my spoon, the carton and just go to town. Lesson learned this week; you truly can’t judge an ice cream by its carton.

I can see why Kathy enjoys this flavor so much now. I imagine Kathy eating her ice cream on the couch zoning out to a tropical beach somewhere. The only person that I am not sure that is on that island is her husband Dave. This flavor finally brought hope back to me with this experiment. Thank you, Kathy.

Score:


No comments: