Friday, September 9, 2011

Volun-Tirsmisu



From the moment I picked this flavor out of the frozen desserts section, I was unaware of the gem I had stumbled upon. When I went to cross this flavor off the list was when I realized one thing…IT WASN’T THERE. I didn’t know what to do. So my friend Veronica logged on the good ole’ Internet and got to the bottom of it. This is what she found, “Volun-Tiramisu and (mystery flavor for another week). Both are intended to promote volunteerism.” And are ONLY sold at Target. If I was paid in Ben & Jerry’s I will volunteer under most circumstances.

Volun-Tiramisu Verdict:

I am trying not to let all the excitement from finding this flavor impair my reviews. I get overly excited with the small things in life…ok, not all small things, but in this instance I am. I have to say that I am only fond of my families Tiramisu that comes from my grandparent’s kitchen…and some cousins. So I started with the normal interpretation of any Tiramisu…I smelt it. Yes, smell is a big factor. For me it allows me to estimate the amount of Rum and espresso. Too much Rum scares me because when I was 14 visiting family in Italy we had a rum soaked dessert. We thought it was just normal pastry. And since it was given to us (after multiple No Grazie) at the dinner table my cousin Phillip and I, 13 & 14 respectively, had no other choice then to attempt to finish it. Well we couldn’t. I literally was about to vomit all over the table…and after many pleas to our grandpa who wasn’t going to let us leave that table until it was done…he let us leave. We were even telling our grandpa that we would give them money for wasting food. He just kicked us out of the house and said, go, get out of here. We walked out with our head handing low and got the hell out of there before he changed his mind. And that memory will live with me forever…. as will all the memories on that trip.

Coffee Mascarpone Ice Cream with Coca Dusted Coffee Rum Lady Finger Pieces
Now the real tasting had to cross all those barriers before I could even think happy thoughts of it. Well I do have to say that I have had some B-A-D Tiramisu in my days. But luckily this was not one of them. Obviously they couldn’t give me the same texture that I so love, but they sure got the flavor. Some positive features where that they didn’t over soak the ladyfingers, and they WEREN’T soggy. I hate soggy ladyfingers…yuck! And the coffee flavor ice cream would have been great alone. I have to say, with the flavor, non-soggy ladyfingers and the message it brings I have to say, GOOD JOB!

I know for some it takes you out of your comfort zone by having to journey to a specific store to purchase this flavor…. but I say step outside the box and go to Target. You never know what the journey may bring you. And if you ever come across a rum soaked pastry, take my word, and RUN and run FAST!

Score:


No comments: